Wednesday, February 10, 2010

SNOW DAY!!!


About a week ago the weather guys pin pointed today as the day when a blizzard would hit New York. I really didn't think too much about this because the last two snow storms that New Yorkers were warned to brace for didn't turn out to be that bad at all, maybe a skiff of snow. But as this one loomed closer people really started sounding different this time. Yesterday in class professors told us that the school never closes and that we should expect business a normal. This was followed by e-mails from the Dean of the dental collage and also one from the NYU admin. saying they expected the school to be open today but that that could change. Most students live within walking distance to the school or use public transit that is pretty reliable so I thought I would be heading in to class today BUT... it started snowing. Now I have to say that this isn't the light fluffy stuff that you could just sweep away with a broom, this is wet heavy slush on sidewalks and streets which is horrible to walk in (and I imagine drive in) because you slip and slide every time you step down into it and you shoes get soaked. However, on the plus side it's the type of snow that makes great snow balls and snowmen.
So when e-mail came saying that they canceled class today (I think they were worried about people being able to get home because it started snowing heavier in the afternoon and into the evening) I was excited that I didn't have to maneuver through that and have to deal with being wet all day.


This is the first snow day I've ever had. Compared to the amount of snow we had here today there were a couple of times back in Edmonton where I think there should have been snow days. I did end up going out today mostly to take pictures and to see how bad it was. What I noticed first was that it wasn't all that cold, I think was around 0 C, so that made walking around a little nicer. My feet were soaked within minutes of been out but my feet never were cold. Most if not all school kids had the day off too, so Van Vorst Park by our place was busy with people building snowmen and playing in the snow. I walked around for about an hour. It's still snowing right now but they are saying that they expect about 10-11 inches when it's all said and done. Kate's flight back here was canceled too but they did that yesterday so she didn't get halfway here and get stranded. An extra day in Edmonton.


(That's Ellis Island in the background. The water was dark and angry looking)

(This is the old train station on the Jersey side where most of the immigrants that went through Ellis Island and weren't staying in New York would catch trains to the rest of the country)

1 comment:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

Great photos!!!

Geez, think of all those times in school that we could and should have had snowdays. No fair.