Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Gilbert loves Anne of Green Gables

We took the ferry out to PEI and started driving around the island. The first things we noticed was there were a lot of potato and soy bean fields, and that every house, and I mean EVERY house, no matter how run down it was had a perfectly mowed lawn. It was eerie.

Our first stop was at a beach with an wooden canal leading to a little bay. The water was fairly warm and so shallow that B could walk in the tiny waves for quite a distance from shore.



Bridget enjoying the taste of PEI sand.


Despite the signs advising against it, everybody was jumping off into the canal. Of course we all had to do it too.



There were ladders on the sides of the canal but when the tide started coming in the water was moving so quickly we would just let the current carry us into the bay and walk up the shore.




We drove up to some place that claims to be the tuna capital of the world. What we found was an empty fishing village.


Kate wanted me to note that this looks just like the beach in Anne of Green Gables.







Ok, I (Kate) have to take over this post because I don't think Jason can truly do Green Gables justice. Lets just say I thought it was magical and he thought it was just "nice". This house isn't the one from the movie. It is even better. It belonged to LM Montgomery's cousins and was the house that actually inspired the novel.

Although some of the places in the book are fictional, there actually is a "haunted wood" next to Green Gables that LM would walk in when she visited.




Oooooo....spooky



There is also a real Lover's Lane



Of course we had to spend some time in Avonlea. If you go you should try to spend the whole day there because they basically run through the Anne of Green Gables story with performances at different locations throughout the day, starting in the schoolhouse with Anne breaking her slate over Gilbert's head and ending the day with them making up and becoming friends. We came after lunch just in time to catch Anne "setting Diana drunk".








B actually walked right up to Diana and sat in her lap. They were instant bosom friends!

Probably the highlight of the entire trip for me was seeing the musical Anne and Gilbert in Summerside, PEI. It was so fabulous! I totally encourage anyone who is in PEI during the summer to go see it.

5 comments:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I hope that you bought B that hat!!!!

I'm impressed that Anne jumped into the canal too. Maybe I'm impressed that anyone would. Cause I would be scared.

The Steed's said...

Looks like a fun Summer. I haven't looked at my pictures from summer holidays yet, but I am guessing Michael and I don't look as relaxed as you guys do! Great pics!

Lashauna said...

Totally looks like the Anne of Green Gables beach! Green Gables and Avonlea looked amazing. What a fun trip! Oh! And Bridget made an adorable redhead. :)

BUB said...

Wow! Absolutely beautiful! Now I can see why you might want to move there. But only problem is . . . it is so FAR from all of us and that is unacceptable!

Kaycee said...

PEI is one of my fave places. Just before we went there I considered growing Ethan's hairso it could be braided, you know, so I could have my own personal Anne (with an E).