Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Doing the Charleston



I woke up early this morning and took Bridget on a run on the beach. With the recent change in time thanks to daylight savings we weren't up all that early and we still caught the sun rise over the ocean. I'm so accustomed to the sunset over the ocean on the west coast that this new to me. The tide was out and left the sand on the beach smooth and hard which made pushing Bridget's stroller easier.






We then went to the oldest continually operating plantation, Boone-Hall plantation. It was established in 1600's and started by producing indigo (for the blue dye) and cotton and over time has grown pecans and produced bricks all with the use of slaves. Now they still grow produce for local markets (no slaves though).

Another oak lined drive


Another chance for a family picture... (Bridget pulling Kate's hair)

...or two


Picking cotton

Boone-Hall from the drive. You might recognise this as Allie's home in the Notebook.


Looking from Boone-Hall down the drive




The original slave quarters at Boone-Hall. It had over 300 slaves in it's hay day.


We took a tour of the plantation (that now looks a lot like a farm but I guess if you have historic slave quarters on your farm you can call it a planation) and we saw a 6 foot alligator and it's 2 foot baby. Awesome.


Once we were done at the plantation, we drove into Charleston and walked around it's historic district. Charleston had a much different feeling than Savannah. Where in Savannah all of the historic buildings felt like they were museums and they took steps to recreate and preserve them in that era, Charleston had a more modern feel to their history.



Huge house that looks like no one is living in it and is falling apart

Kate says we can move to Charleston if we can live in this house.

Charleston had more wood railings whereas Savannah had iron. This is largely due to the fact that the railings were torn down and made into cannon balls during the civil war while Savannah was protected by a naval blockade.


This house and many in the area were built in 1670. People still live in it.

Back to the beach behind our hotel once again to finish off the day.






I did want to make one comment about the food we've been having. I've been trying to get as much seafood and BBQ that I can down here and it has all been delicious!

4 comments:

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I love that you had to comment on the food. Of course you have been having BBQ. That does not even surprise me.

Jealous of you running on the beach!!!! How nice is that.

Bring running stuff to Montreal, I will try to keep up.

I so want to go down 'South'. The trees, the houses, the history. So cool.

Christy and Brett Bevans said...

I forgot to even mention the croc. Um, yikes. How close were you to it? I hope that you held B a little tighter.

Everytime I hear the word Plantation I think of that part in Teen Wolf when they are doing the school play and the girl says "you can take me, but not my plantation". Not sure why that part stuck with me all these years. Well that part and the part where he is surfing on the roof of that van.

SunShine said...

This is exciting I love seeing all the pictures!

I agree with Kate, I would move if I could live in that house - Gorgeous!!

Emily said...

I am jealous of your trip! This is somewhere that I've always wanted to go.